Email: WXHS, Hattaway, Graphic Design 2
Graphic Design 2
To have a happy grade, do 3 things:
1. check-in with Hattaway twice/week
2. draw 5-minutes twice/week; email Hattaway photo of drawings
3. complete the projects – current zine project due on 4/15 (deets below, but 1 project every two weeks, due on Wednesdays.)
The I’m-Soooo-Bored Edition
It’s fourth term! “So, what happens now?” you ask. I’m soooo glad that you asked.
Y’all gave feedback; I listened.
Fourth term should be pretty straightforward with three things to keep in mind:
1. Check in with me two times per week. Do this on A days, if you’re keeping track. You don’t know what day it is? No problem! I update nomuse.com with the current day (most of the time), or you can check the calendar on the school website https://wxhs.davis.k12.ut.us/parents-students/school-calendar. You can check-in via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), with the contact form on nomuse.com/contact-me, or by joining a Zoom session (https://zoom.us/j/2337945066?pwd=RTk1R0NYcWtnNW5mZ0V2US9CZmlrUT09). Currently, yearbook has the 11:00am slot on B days, but you are welcome to pop in anytime. I leave the session open from 11:00am to noon, Monday through Friday. I need to know that you haven’t gone completely feral or insane, or died of boredom. Like, literally.
2. Do the 5-minute drawing assignment twice/week and send me a photo of your drawing. You are welcome to draw anything that you’d like, as long as you spend the 5-minutes drawing. Any paper you have handy will work. If you’re at a loss for something to draw, I provide a drawing prompt on https://nomuse.com/graphic-design-2-advertising-design/ along with the complete list of assignments and links to assignment resources. I need something to grade; you need something to do – it’s a match made in heaven.
3. There will be some sort of small assignment on a two-week interval. You’re bored; I need to give you something to do…yada yada. The current assignment is to create an 8-page zine, due Wed. 4/15.
What’s a zine (zeen) you ask? (I’m so glad you asked!) Zines are a form of self-publishing that goes back to 1930. Zine is short for “fan magazine” which shortened to “fanzine” then to just zine. This assignment is to design an 8-page zine focused on something about which you are an “expert”, whether it’s your favorite music right now or kinds of tacos you love or your all-time favorite pairs of Air Jordans or a mini graphic novel or crazy pandemic fashion trends. I personally have zines that cover a mini emergency kit, useful things to know, foraging for food in the wild, a sad breakup, how to make a zine, a zine of secrets, and how to pick locks, among others.
There are some resources for you at https://nomuse.com/graphic-design-2-advertising-design/make-a-zine/ including a template for Illustrator and folding instructions. All 8 pages will come out of a single piece of 8.5×11 sheet of paper. The individual pages are small and this assignment was designed to be completed with paper and pencil for students who do not have access to a computer that will run Illustrator/other design software. One of my advanced students is doing her 16-page zine in Procreate on her iPad. I’m flexible; use what you have. You will submit this as two photos and/or a computer file, if you use a computer. One photo will be the open sheet of paper; the second photo is a shot of your folded up, ready to distribute zine.
I have attached two examples of what your zine could look like to this email. These are projects that have already been submitted by your classmates. Pick something you love (or hate) and design 8-small pages.
More questions? Hit reply.